Guides & Tutorials
Setting up Your IDE
This section needs a lot of cleanup and reorganization. If there's anyone that can merge same IDE/Compiler version guides (there's duplicates of a few) if you work on that platform/version, any help would be appreciated.
The following guides involve multiple platforms, they need to be split up and merged into one of the above guides.
- Windows And Linux IDEs
- Compiler Issues
- Compiling WxWidgets
- Compiling WxWidgets With MSYS-MinGW - While I know this guide can apply to multiple platforms, it would be best if it was split into separate focused guides to deal with issues involving the combination of other tools on that platform and it's easier to follow for new users on those specific platforms (without needing to figure out how those instructions apply to their specific platform).
Making an Installer
- KeyCodes - wxWidgets keyboard mapping
- Command-Line Arguments
- Debugging A WxWindow Application - Using __WXDEBUG__, for example.
- Events - Notes on using events in wxWidgets
- Subclassing WxControl - A simple example on how to subclass existing controls
- Unicode - Unicode support in wxWidgets
- Internationalization - support for internationalization
- WxWidgets Source Oddities - About wxT(), __GNUG__, WXUNUSED(), etc..
- Undocumented Parts Of WxWidgets
- Distributing WxWidgets Applications
- Avoiding Memory Leaks - Partly general C++ programming tips, but also some information on wxWidgets' automatic memory management that's interesting for experienced C++-programmers.
- Resource Files - Using wxWidgets resource files (also known as XRC).
- Embedding PNG Images - Including PNG image files into executables.
- Creating a Linux shared lib (dll)
- Creating A DLL Of An Application
- Using DLL Version Of WxWidgets Compiled With Open Watcom
- Reducing Executable Size - some tips
- Namespaces - How to derive from wxWidgets classes and use a namespace
- Using XML With WxWidgets - XML processing with wxWidgets
- Programs That Support Plugins - Using DLLs
- Using Text Templates - example for combining wxHashMap, wxVariant to make text templates, especially embedding wxImage in a wxHTML page.
- RTTI - The black art of wxWidgets RTTI (Runtime Type Information)
- Multiple Inheritance - The black art of using multiple inheritance in wxWidgets
- ODBC - howto work with it under wxWidgets
- WxBase Eventloop - implementing an event loop and timers in wxBase
- Precompiled Headers - using pch with MinGW
- Wx In Non-Wx Applications
- supporting x64 and Win32 within one solution - for VS2005 (Windows)
- Launching The Default Browser - kinda tricky prior to wx 2.6
- Calling The Default Browser In WxHtmlWindow - How to call the external browser on Internet URLs
- Getting IP Address Of Host
- Obtaining the path of the application - Not the current working directory, scroll down to 'Tips for finding the application path'.
- Linking With Gtk And Running On Any Linux - Deliver a binary package for all linux distributions
- Wx Patching - How to submit a patch in 3 steps
- MSDN Library And WxWidgets Help File - Learn how to integrate help files (specifically wxWidgets' ones) into the MSDN Library v6.0.
- Cvs - the wxWidgets CVS repository
These tutorials should be condensed into single articles if possible (the shorter ones anyway).
- Writing Your First Application
- wxTutorial by Franky Braem
- MadMonky1's Tutorial
- Compiling A WxWidgets Application
- Compiling Using MSVC On The Commandline
- wxBasic Tutorial